Guidelines for Judges and Competitors
The SAIBC Competition will run the 13-19 July 2020
The purpose of the Scholar Division is to identify young dancers with talent, potential and good training. The jury has to identify young dancers who fit this description and who they feel with further training will potentially be employable in a professional dance company. The focus is on identifying future dancers.
The purpose of the Junior Division is to identify young dancers with talent, potential and good training. The jury has to identify young dancers who fit this description and who they feel with further training will be employable in a professional dance company. The focus is on identifying future dancers.
The purpose of the Senior Division is to identify dancers who at their present standard display the competence to make them employable in a professional dance company. Whether or not they are in fact employed in this capacity has no bearing in any way on their participation in the SAIBC.
CHAIRPERSON OF THE JURY
Upon arrival the judges will convene and elect the Chairperson of the Jury. The Chairperson of the Jury will:
• Convene and guide the Jury in the process of finding suitable medalists.
• Ensure that the Jury act in the best interest of the South African International Ballet Competition and ballet in general.
• The Chairperson will be the spokesperson for the Jury.
• The Chairperson will be the contact person between the Jury and the organizers of the SAIBC.
THE JURY AND JUDGING
1. The Jury is chosen to represent the international ballet community, including South Africa.
2. The Jury will be expected to be present at all sessions.
3. A point system with the following components and weighting will be utilized: Artistry (30%), Technique (30%), Presentation (30%), Grooming (5%) and Preparation (5%).
4. The scores will be fed to the computer and the finalists/medalists/winners decided after the highest and the lowest scores are omitted.
5. Discussion will only be required if there is a tie; if not, the scores will determine the clear winner.
1. As part of agreements with other competitions, medalists from these competitions will be allowed to enter into the finals of the SAIBC.
2. Entries will be accepted if mailed before the closing date.
3. Entries will be accepted if entries or part thereof were received before the closing date.
CONDITIONS OF THE COMPETITION
1.There are Scholar (Ages 12-15), Junior (Ages16-20) and Senior Divisions (Ages 21-28).
2.The Divisions will be divided in Male and Female Sections.
3.Class work will not form part of the competition.
4.The Ballet and Contemporary sections of the Competition will be judged separately. Judges will not to let the different categories influence their decisions.
CLOSING DATE FOR 2020 ENTRIES: THURSDAY 30 APRIL 2020